The Healthcare Initiative Foundation (HIF) supports organizations that offer solutions to improve the quality and delivery of healthcare for residents of Montgomery County, MD. HIF envisions a Montgomery County whose residents are served by a high-quality, comprehensive, cost-effective and sustainable healthcare system.
The Healthcare Initiative Foundation considers grants to 501(c)(3) healthcare nonprofits that are based in Montgomery County, Maryland, or to nonprofits that have county-based health programs or activities.
Within our geographic and focus area, our areas of priority:
- Support behavioral health and wellness across the lifespan;
- Expand the availability and access to comprehensive health and wellness services across the lifespan;
- Support sustainable service delivery systems and safety-net services across the lifespan focused on direct health and wellness services & place-based initiatives
- Support sustainable service delivery systems and safety-net services across the lifespan supporting systems-based approaches, knowledge and best practices, and collective impact models; and
- Develop a culturally competent healthcare workforce.
To view a PDF of our Grant Priorities, click here.
We generally consider new grants only after we make a site visit.
- To be considered for a possible site visit, send a brief, informal email (4 paragraphs or less) about your organization, its mission, programs, and clientele to: Jess.Fuchs@hifmc.org.
We make grants that:
- Start or grow well-conceived programs/organizations;
- Offer innovative solutions to improve the quality, accessibility and/or delivery of healthcare;
- Replicate successful (evidence based) programs from our own or other jurisdictions;
- Serve HIF’s strategic priority areas and populations (e.g. aging, youth of opportunity; people of color, etc.);
- Build organizational capacity to enhance sustainability and/or improve service delivery (e.g. planning, management, finance; fundraising, communications, etc.); and
- Leverage resources, whether human or financial (e.g. revenue, partnerships, matching or aligned funds).
We do not:
- Give to endowment funds or annual campaigns;
- Fund lobbying or political activities;
- Make grants to individuals;
- Provide funds to private foundations unless for a particular grant purpose;
- Fund a nonprofit system or organization, including its affiliate(s) that owns or operates an acute care hospital in Montgomery County, Maryland;
- Provide funds to cover bricks and mortar capital expenses;
- Replace government funding; or
- Fund religious activities, although secular health programs provided by a religious institution or its affiliate(s) may qualify.
We take a comprehensive view of each application:
- Full compliance and in good standing with relevant state, federal, and county regulations;
- Financial sustainability of the organization (i.e., regular independent audits, D&O insurance);
- Organization receiving funding through an active grant cycle;
- The quality, completeness, and comprehensiveness of the application;
- Compliance with grant guidelines in current and previous cycles;
- Feasibility of planned program, project, and organization to implement the request;
- Attended a HIF grantee training and hosted a HIF site visit;
- Amount requested and allocation of funds aligns with HIF guidelines; and
- Geographic area of the county to be served (i.e., where services are being offered).
To view this information in PDF, click here.